skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Square Foot Garden (June 2010)
I borrowed a book on Square Foot Gardening from a friend and read it over the winter. In between Ben's family and my family in town, I thought I'd try my hand at this growing thing...how hard can it be?!
This was our 24' x 24' area.
I had to rake it all before even starting. It took a lot longer and was a lot harder than I thought.
Phew! Finally finished raking!
I laid down the weed cloth and put down some of the boxes I'd made earlier.

Here's all the stuff I brought, one by one, from the garage to the back yard (the 1/2 way point).
Okay, so I've got 3 boxes filled with dirt, 6 more to go.
The next day I built some more boxes and planted the starts I had purchased with a friend. We spent a day going to different nurseries and picking out plants. Oh, I decided to make the boxes out of decking (Veranda, to be specific) so they would last longer. I only want to do this part once. The only tough part with that was that I had to drill ALL the holes first, before screwing in the screws. So, basically, twice as much work. Also, the boxes were WAY heavy to carry to the garden area. I'm sure I looked rediculous 15 times trying to carry them all back there.
I added the trellises after planting everything. I made those too...the first thing I made.

In this box I planted early girl tomatoes, serano peppers, lettuce, spearmint, chocolate mint, cilantro, basil, and dill.
In this box I planted beans, peas, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, chives, green bell peppers, parsely, eggplant, and a red bell pepper.
Here, I planted banana squash and pumpkins. You're supposed to be able to grow them up the trellis. We'll see if it works.


Okay, the finished product...mostly. I finished making all the boxes, but have 3 more to fill. I added watermelon, cantelope, shallots, more peppers, and a blueberry plant to the other boxes I filled with dirt (Mel's Mix). I'm going to wait til Ben gets home to help me with the rest. We still need to put gravel/rocks in between the boxes as paths too. I'm exhuasted, but excited to see things start to grow!
No comments:
Post a Comment