Sunday, February 14, 2010

Compassionate Service Project




I'm the compassionate service leader in my ward. If you've ever had that calling, it can be difficult to get a hold of people to help, even though there are so many people willing to. So, I came up with a solution to help curb all the phone calls and involve more people who want to help. I came up with a couple freezer meal recipes so people could either sign up to donate ingredients and/or help assemble the meals. This way, more people could participate in some way, without having to create a whole meal spur-of-the-moment, which is often the case. I thought we'd make 4-5 lasagnas and about the same for the beef, bean, and cheese enchiladas. Well, it turned out to be a HUGE success!!! We made 16 lasagnas (12- 9x13 pans and 4- 8x8 pans) and 18 packages of enchiladas with 6 burritos in each bag. I was so busy helping, that I forgot to take pictures during the organized chaos and only caught the tail end of the lasagna assembly line. I actually had to solicit freezer space to help store all the food. Anyway, so now when we have an emergency in the neighborhood, we can give these meals frozen or I can cook them (since I'm home most of the time) and deliver a hot meal. We still plan on calling peolple for hot meals and other services as needed, but this is our back-up plan. THANKS to everyone who participated in one way or another!!! It was a fun night!!!



No comments: